Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Welcome, Welcome

So, welcome to my new blog! In case the title didn't give it away, this is a blog about eating, both in and out of the kitchen (read: my attempts at cooking as well as my adventures eating out around town will be chronicled).
I suppose if I am going to expect you all to be interested in what I have to say, I should first introduce myself. I'm Allie. I am a graduate student working towards a graduate degree in English at an undisclosed location in Burlington, VT. Fun fact: did you know that Burlington has more restaurants per capita than any other city in the United States? Obviously my culinary options here are ample.
As I mentioned, I am a grad student in English. More often than not, when I tell people about my subject, they say, "What are you going to do with that?" For a long time, I didn't really have an answer -- maybe a teacher, maybe a writer, maybe...My indecision is no more. I finally have a clear path in front of me -- I want to be a food writer! I want to spend my days eating delicious food (and inevitably sometimes not so delicious), and writing about it. My dream job? To be the food critic for the New York Times, or to be the Editor-in-Chief for Food Network Magazine. Lofty aspirations, I know, but what's the point of dreaming if you don't dream big?
So now you know where I'm coming from, but it occurs to me that I have yet to talk about actual food. Here it goes.
Right now I am following a meal plan I got from Self magazine. it includes a lot of "superfoods" to increase nutrition, make you look younger and fitter, etc. -- basically a miracle diet, right? So far I've only been following to plan for two days, but I'm enjoying it. Do I look younger and more full of energy yet? For lunch today I had a really yummy salad made from mixed green, chucks of watermelon, and feta cheese, with a little vinaigrette tossed it. It was a light and fresh meal, and eating it made me feel light and fresh. Too bad I had to eat it at my gloomy desk instead of outside on the gorgeous New England day.
I guess that's it for now. In an upcoming post, I plan to write about some of the restaurants in Burlington that I've visited, and whether or not they lived up to my expectations...

No comments:

Post a Comment