Friday, October 28, 2011

Totally random thoughts and some soup

So…it snowed last night. Seriously. And there’s a possibility of several more inches this weekend. And I though the Berkshires would be a slight reprieve from winter in Vermont. Silly me.


Halloween in Monday. Honestly, while I love the excuse to decorate my apartment and eat tons of miniature candies (because if its mini, it barely counts, right?), Halloween just isn’t a big deal to me. Mostly, it just marks the end of autumn and the beginning of the most wonderful time of year, that stretch from Nov. 1 through Christmas that is just one massive holiday extravaganza. Baking, listening to Christmas music (Michael Buble’s new Christmas album came out earlier this week. I about had a heart attack from all the excitement), 24/7 Thanksgiving specials on the Food Network. I can’t wait!

One reason I can’t wait (besides all the ones I just listed)? Guess who is hosting Thanksgiving this year???!!! Like you need to guess…That’s right, my grandparents and my mom – all the way from Texas – will be joining the dog and I this Thanksgiving. I have the most fabulous menu planned. I’ve been at it for weeks already. I can’t share it yet – top secret – but suffice it to say, it is awesome.

Changing gears slightly…to dinner last night! Do you remember a few weeks ago, I went to the Greenpeas TV dinner and had the most amazing butternut squash soup ever? Well, what with last night being all cold and snowy, I decided to attempt to recreate it. Although it didn’t come out exactly the same, it was delicious.

I had some frozen squash in the freezer, so I defrosted it . While that was frosting, I heated some chicken stock and some onions in a big pot. I added the squash and let that all simmer together for a few minutes. I added half a can of drained kidney bean and attacked it with the immersion blender until smooth (the beans add thickness). Then I added the rest of the beans and milk until I reached the desired consistency. A dash of herbs de Provence, some grated parmesan cheese, and some crumbled bacon (and a splash of bacon fat) finished the dish. I served the soup in a bowl drizzled with a swill of EVOO and some freshly cracked black pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment