Tuesday, April 17, 2012

In season now

So over the weekend, I read 'Alice Waters and Chez Panisse' by Thomas Mcnamee -- it seemed fitting, considering that I'll be heading out that way on Saturday (excited squeal). The book included several examples of menus at CheZ Panisse over the years, most -- if not all -- which include local, seasonal produce. So that got me thinking -- what is in season in northern California right now? Like, what can I expect to find at the farmers' market next Sunday? Here's what I dug up:
In late April, here's what one can expect to find: Apples, Asparagus, Avocados, Beets, Bok Choy, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Cherries, Fennel, Grapefruit, Halibut, Pacific, Kale, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Nectarines, Okra, Onions, Oranges, Peas, Pistachios, Potatoes, Radishes, Raspberries, Rhubarb, Rutabaga, Scallions, Shrimp, Pink, Spinach, Strawberries, Tomatoes, Turnips.
So I guess the question really is, what's NOT in season in northern California right now?
Just wanted to share...and gloat a little, too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment